Sunday, August 18, 2013

What Hardware Do I Need?

I have seen comments in fora and on websites that suggest that you do not want to build Android unless you have a 64-bit Linux Übermachine. I am proceeding on the assumption that this is an overstatement. I am hoping that if you do not have this kind of machine, it will just take longer -- many hours and possibly even days -- rather than crashing the system, compiler, etc. I plan to do this on an Ubuntu VM on my PC. If these assumptions are wrong, I may need a new strategy.

Comments, thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. For 4.x versions of Android you need a 64 bit host, but 2.2 builds fine with a 32 bit host as long as you have ample RAM. Its been awhile since I built anything that old, but I think you can get by with 4GB. (4.x needs far more...like 16).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happens if you have less? Does it crash or just take longer?

    ReplyDelete