Thursday, January 30, 2014

Clarification RE Linux Kernels in Android 2.1 and Android 2.2

On September 3, 2013, I posted that these were the same.  With new info and understanding, I thought it necessary to clarify this statement.  The kernel for Android 2.1 is based on the Linux 2.6.29 kernel.  The Android 2.2 kernel is based on Linux 2.6.32.  I am proceeding on the assumption that replicating changes made by B&N to the 2.6.29 kernel to the 2.6.32 kernel, although tedious, will be relatively simple.

What I am not sure of and would be very interested to hear from people who know more about Linux than me -- which would be just about everyone in the world, lol, is whether you think that assumption is correct.

Some of these changes will probably be unnecessary because of fixes in the kernel itself from v 2.6.29 to v 2.6.32.

I am currently thinking that when I move to the next step, I will try to compile the 2.6.32 kernel with as few changes as possible, and use B&N's changes to 2.6.29 to give myself an educated guess to solve any problems I may encounter rather than taking pot shots in the dark.

1 comment:

  1. While I don't know enough to help, I'm still rooting for you and keeping an eye on your blog via RSS. After a long time of collecting dust, I picked up my NST only to find that it had somehow unrooted itself... So I'm more than ready to look into any new developments that come along.

    ReplyDelete