Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Linux Kernel Same for Android 2.1 and 2.2

 According to Wikipedia , the Linux Kernel used all Android builds before 4.0 were built using the Linux 2.6 kernel.  From Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) forward, they are built on Linux 3.x.

Since the config file must work with the specific version of Linux, it should be possible to tweak the one used in the original build of Nook 1.2.1 to build Android 2.2.  The kernel running in the Nook is:  2.6.29-omap1


The file used to make the config file is:  omap3621_gossamer_evt1c_defconfig.  This is located in the \distro\kernel\arch\arm\configs directory of the source files I downloaded from B&N.  I have created a new page on the blog where I will mark it up as I go along.


At the beginning of the file it says, "Automatically generated make config".  This has me wondering what software / tool they used to generate it.

As I initially read through the file, I thought it is interesting that I don't see specific references to most of the chips / hardware on the board.  There is no info that I immediately notice about the eInk screen, but there is for the zForce touch screen for example.

Need to revisit  From Zero to Boot:  Porting Android to Your Device 

No comments:

Post a Comment